Saturday, April 30, 2005

From Radwanski's blog, August 17, 2004

I've been holding this in for days...

I hate the Olympics. There, I said it.

I hate the way I'm supposed to care about a bunch of sports I would never care about otherwise, just because they're all lumped together into one giant orgy of sports I don't care about.

I hate the way our national pride is supposed to take a hit every time we fail to perform adequately at water polo or long-jumping or synchronized swimming.

I hate the self-importance of the IOC (sorry, "Olympic Movement"), whose website informs us that "Olympism is a state of mind."

I hate the way anyone who's ever played amateur sports takes great umbrage whenever one dares turn a blind eye to the herculian achievements of our Olympic athletes.

I hate that, even though I don't know anyone who's even remotely fanatical about this thing, it'll dominate the front pages, lead off broadcasts, and pre-empt other sports coverage for another week.

But I'm very, very glad Toronto didn't get the 2008 Games. And quietly, I think a lot of other Torontonians are too.


+++++
Original URL at http://www.adamradwanski.com/blog190804.html